Weebly is a top website tool known for its ease of use and approachability for all different kinds of business owners. In this Weebly review, we’ll explore features, pricing, pros, cons, and alternatives. Before we dive in, here are some high-level pros and cons for this ecommerce platform:
- Price: Not only does Weebly have a free option, but their paid plans all come in under $30 per month.
- Usability: With pre-designed templates and a drag-and-drop editor, you can get your website up and running in no time.
- Mobile options: Build and manage your website from your mobile device and let your customers shop and check out on their phones, as well.
- Features: Weebly’s lack of advanced tools and capabilities may be an issue, especially for larger or quickly growing small businesses.
- Scalability: With limited customization and advanced feature options, Weebly can only accommodate so much growth.
What Is Weebly?
Weebly is a website builder that allows you to create, customize, and launch your business website, blog, or online store. With Weebly, you have the option to develop and manage your website—completely free—or, opt for one of three paid, premium plans to receive additional site, ecommerce, marketing, and customer support tools.
Regardless of the plan you choose, Weebly also gives you the ability to edit and monitor your website using their mobile app, as well as integrate with the third-party tools in their App Center to expand your capabilities. You can sign up for a free Weebly account directly from their website, no credit card required.
With this overview of Weebly in mind, let’s dive deeper into the different features of this website builder.
Domain and Web Hosting
Weebly provides free web hosting, with a cloud-based infrastructure to provide reliable performance and ensure that your site loads quickly. Their free plan comes with a Weebly-branded domain; however, with their paid plans you can purchase or import a custom domain. A custom domain is free for your first year with their two highest-level plans.
With Weebly, you can set up and start a blog, whether on its own or as part of a larger website or online store. You have the ability to control the layout and structure of your blog posts; create custom URLs; manage comments; integrate media, comment, or social media systems; utilize sharing and scheduling capabilities; and more.
SEO and Marketing
To help promote your website, Weebly provides built-in SEO tools and tracks your visitors and website statistics, displaying them through your Weebly dashboard. You can also add Google Analytics code for advanced tracking.
Furthermore, with Weebly Promote, you can create email marketing campaigns using pre-designed email templates or your own. Build an email list and track performance in the dashboard.
Example of a Weebly theme. Image source: Weebly.
All of Weebly’s plans include ecommerce capabilities, allowing you to sell online with online shopping cart functionality and secure checkout. You’ll also be able to add products, track your inventory, and sell digital goods, physical products, and services.
Moreover, Weebly offers additional ecommerce features such as:
- Product descriptions with slideshows and videos
- Product sharing on social media
- Mobile shopping cart and checkout
- Integrations with Square, PayPal, Stripe, and more
- Confirmation emails, shipment tracking notifications, refunds and returns processing, and real-time reporting
- Multiple shipping options, real-time shipping rates, and adjusted rates for geographic locations
- Promotions and discounts
- Automatic tax rates for U.S. and Canada
- Bulk import and export capabilities between platforms
- Automated abandoned-cart emails
- Custom branded gift cards
Integrations and Mobile
Weebly gives you the ability to integrate with hundreds of third-party applications using their App Center, including Google Ads, Eventbrite, Shipstation, Facebook chat, and rankingCoach.
Moreover, Weebly’s mobile app, available for iOS and Android, gives you the ability to build and manage your website or online store from anywhere, even allowing you to work offline.
For both their free and paid customers, Weebly provides support in a number of ways. Depending on your specific plan, you’ll have access to phone support, in addition to the chat and email support that’s offered with all of Weebly’s services. Plus, Weebly includes a support center with a knowledge base, blog, and community forum.
Now that we’ve explored the full range of capabilities this website builder has to offer, let’s move forward in our Weebly review and answer: how much is Weebly?
Below, we’ll explore Weebly’s plans and pricing. Keep in mind, each plan builds on the previous ones so you’ll receive more features in the higher-level plans.
Weebly Plans and Pricing
SSL security; advanced site stats; site search; shopping cart; sell digital or physical items and services; inventory management; automatic tax calculator; coupons; Square gift cards; SEO; email, chat, and phone support
$6 per month billed annually ($9 month to month)
Same features as the free plan, with the option to connect or purchase a custom domain
$12 per month billed annually ($16 month to month)
Free domain for first year, unlimited storage, remove Square ads, password protection, shipping calculator
$26 per month billed annually ($29 month to month)
Accept payments through PayPal, add item reviews, abandoned cart emails, print shipping labels, shipping discounts, advanced ecommerce insights, priority support
Advantages and Disadvantages of Weebly
Keeping in mind all of the information we’ve covered so far in this Weebly review, let’s continue by discussing how Weebly stands out as a website builder and ecommerce platform, as well as where it falls short.
- Price: With all of their plans under $30 per month and a completely free option with ecommerce functionality, Weebly’s affordability is one of the platform’s greatest benefits. Although the free offering has its limitations, it provides the essential tools you would need to get started—plus, you can upgrade at any time without having to start from scratch.
- Usability: Another of the most notable benefits of Weebly is the simplicity and ease-of-use of the platform. With pre-designed templates to choose from, Weebly makes it quick and easy to set up your website and customize it using their drag-and-drop editor. If you prefer, you can also edit your site through its code. Additionally, the Weebly interface is intuitive and user-friendly, making it easy for you to manage your operations, make changes, and find new ways to grow and promote your business.
- Mobile options: With the mobile options Weebly offers, you not only have the ability to build and manage your website or online store from anywhere, but you also have an opportunity to take advantage of mobile traffic and mobile ordering from customers. With their mobile-responsive designs, mobile shopping cart, and mobile checkout, Weebly helps you attract visitors and customers who are browsing via smartphone or tablet.
- Features: Although Weebly offers a number of different plans with essential and useful capabilities, this platform is lacking when it comes to advanced features. Many similar competitors generally provide greater built-in functionality and a wider variety of features and tools. This lack of more advanced tools and capabilities may be an issue for larger or quickly growing small businesses.
- Scalability: Directly related to Weebly’s lack of advanced features is another drawback—Weebly is also generally limited in terms of both customization and scalability. Overall, their templates are limited and not nearly as customizable as some of the web builders that also use drag-and-drop editing. And with limited customization and advanced feature options, it can really only accommodate so much growth. Thus, larger or quickly growing businesses may find Weebly to be too restricting.
Weebly Customer Reviews
What do Weebly users have to say about their experience with this platform? On the whole, Weebly reviews are generally positive, with users writing most frequently about Weebly’s ease of use and their free and inexpensive plan options. However, many reviewers also comment on the limitations of Weebly in terms of their specific features and customization capabilities.
- Jenny Wilson of Wilson Marketing Consulting, told us that she recommends Weebly to other business owners, especially those who have little knowledge about building websites. In her experience, she likes Weebly because of their drag-and-drop interface, built-in contact forms, maps, galleries, and ecommerce option, as well as their ability to get your website set up quickly. However, Wilson also found that it doesn’t have as many optional widgets as other web builders—plus, it’s not sufficient to accommodate large or complex sites.
- Glenn Mueller Jr. of Mueller Chocolate Co., says that he would recommend Weebly and used it to build his company’s website. Overall, Mueller found Weebly to be reasonably priced and reliable. He also felt, on the other hand, that it is missing features he expected to see, including solutions for spam messages, announcement bars, disabling shipping, and more.
Before you decide whether Weebly is the right tool for your business, it’s worth exploring some top competitors. As we’ve mentioned, there are a number of solutions, both web builders and ecommerce platforms that you might consider as alternatives to Weebly. Here are two:
As a web builder that also offers ecommerce functionality, Wix is one of Weebly’s biggest competitors. Like Weebly, Wix gives you the ability to create a business website using their free plan, or opt for one of their paid premium plans, which range in price from $13 to $49 per month. While these are slightly more expensive than Weebly, Wix provides a greater variety of theme templates as well as ways to build your site—with a standard web editor, AI-based tool, and an open development platform.
Moreover, whether you’re starting an online store or event, photography, or restaurant website, Wix includes various specific capabilities for these types of businesses. Overall, with over 1,000 features available within their platform, Wix can give you more options and opportunities than Weebly can.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a platform that specializes in ecommerce, you might think about selling on Shopify. As one of the most popular ecommerce platforms out there, Shopify is known for their overall functionality, user-friendly system, and integration abilities. Although at $29 per month, the Basic Shopify plan is going to be much more expensive than Weebly right off the bat, you’ll be able to create your online store with unlimited products, multiple sales channels, abandoned cart recovery, discount codes, and 24/7 customer support. From there, you can choose a higher-level plan for even more tools and capabilities.
As a platform created specifically for ecommerce, Shopify’s features, template options, workflows, and add-on tools will be much more conducive to the development, customization, and growth of your online store—in comparison to Weebly or Wix, both of which are better known as website builders.
The Bottom Line
There’s no doubt that Weebly is a user-friendly and affordable platform, capable of providing you with essential tools to build a website, blog, or ecommerce store.
With a focus on simplicity, mobility, and affordability, Weebly is probably best suited for smaller businesses, especially those that are just starting out.
However, if you need more customization and features than Weebly can offer, you might consider a more advanced web builder or ecommerce platform alternative, like Wix or Shopify. If you’re on the fence about Weebly, consider signing up for their free plan and start testing it out yourself.