Best Business Credit Cards for Travel: What You Need to Know
Do you travel frequently for your business? Do you want to earn travel rewards for your everyday business spending? If your answer to one or both of these questions is “yes,” then you might consider looking at business credit cards designed specifically for travel.
After all, getting a business credit card in and of itself can benefit you in many ways—it can help you separate your business and personal finances, establish business credit, and of course, provide you with a line of credit to use for your business purchases. Therefore, if you’re going to be investing in a business credit card, it’s all the better if you can find one that rewards your spending.
Whether you travel for business or simply want to earn rewards to be spent on travel, there are a variety of business credit cards for travel for you to choose from. Generally, travel business credit cards can be broken down into three categories:
- General travel cards: Business credit cards issued by major banks that offer points that can be redeemed for different travel purchases
- Co-branded airline cards: Business credit cards that offer rewards from the co-branded airline, and therefore, can only be redeemed for travel with that airline
- Co-branded hotel cards: Similar to co-branded airline cards, these cards offer rewards from the co-branded hotel, allowing you to redeem points for purchases at that hotel
This being said, although business credit cards for travel have more complicated rewards structures when compared to other types of business credit cards, like straight cash back cards, these credit cards offer substantial benefits if used efficiently.
With this in mind, then, we’ve compiled a list of the best business credit cards for travel. We’ll explain each travel business credit card, how it works, and what it offers—this way, you’ll have all the information you need to determine which card is right for you.
The Best Business Cards for Travel
- Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card From American Express
- American Express® Business Gold Card
- Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business
- Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard®
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express
- U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card
- Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card From Chase
Great For: Point redemption rewardsRead Full Review
- 100,000 point signup bonus if you spend $15K in first 3 months
- 3x or 1x points depending on how you spend
|Welcome offerafter you spend $15,000 in first 3 months||Rewards ratefor the first $150,000, then 1x points||Annual fee||Minimum credit|
|100,000 points||1 or 3 points||$95||700|
With the Ink Preferred, you’ll earn 100,000 points when you spend $15,000 in the first three months with your card. These points are worth $1,250 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
On top of this welcome bonus, the Ink Preferred card also earns:
- 3x points per dollar on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories
- 1x points on everything else, with no limit on the points you can earn
You can redeem your points with this business travel card not only for travel, but for cash back, gift cards, and more. Plus, if you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards, your points are worth 25% more.
Additionally, there are no foreign transaction fees with the Chase Ink Preferred and you can get free employee cards. This being said, however, like the Spark Miles card, there will be a $95 annual fee for this business travel card.
Great For: Making purchases with a 0% intro APR periodRead Full Review
- 12 month 0% intro APR period on purchases from the date of account opening
- 2X points for the first $50K spent
- No annual fee
|Intro apron purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening||Regular apr||Annual fee||Minimum credit|
|0%||13.24% – 19.24%||$0||700|
The next option on our list of the best business credit cards for travel rewards is the Blue Business Plus card from American Express.
This is a general type of business credit card for travel and has notable perks in addition to its travel rewards.
With the Blue Business Plus, you’ll earn:
- 2x rewards per dollar spent on your first $50,000 in purchases
- 1 point per dollar spent on purchases after that
Additionally, and perhaps most notably, this business credit card for travel offers one of the longest 0% intro APR periods of any card on the market with 12 months of interest-free balances as long as you make your minimum monthly payments on time. (After these 12 months, your APR will set in at a rate that will vary with your creditworthiness and the market Prime Rate, so be sure to see the issuer’s terms and conditions for the latest APR information.)
Moreover, the Blue Business Plus has no annual fee, which sets it apart from many other business credit cards for travel.
Admittedly, this card doesn’t offer some of the more competitive perks that other options on this list do, however, it’s a great business credit card for travel rewards if you’re looking for a 0% intro APR period and no annual fee.
American Express® Business Gold Card
Great For: Earning points on the select categories you spend the mostRead Full Review
- No set spending limit
- Pay over time option for purchases of $100 or more
- 4x rewards on your 2 top-spend categories from a list of 6 every month
- Earn 70,000 points after you spend $10,000 within the first 3 months
|Welcome offerafter you spend $10,000 in first 3 months||Rewards ratebased on where you spend money||Annual fee||Minimum credit|
|70,000 points||4 points||$295||700|
With the American Express Business Gold card, you’ll receive even more impressive travel rewards.
You’ll receive 4x rewards points in the two expense categories you spend the most in every month out of the following six:
- Airfare purchased from airlines
- Advertising in select media
- Gas stations
- Technology purchases from select providers
These points will apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from the two categories and beyond this, you’ll earn 1x points on all other purchases.
Additionally, this business credit card for travel allows you to get 25% of your rewards points back after you use them for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex travel—up to 250,000 points back per year.
Moreover, this card also currently offers a welcome offer where you can earn 70,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first three months. The Business Gold also has no foreign transaction fees, which is great for travel, and it gives you the option to pay over time for purchases of $100 or more.
All of this being said, the one major downside of this business credit card for travel rewards is the high annual fee: $295.
Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business
If you’d prefer a flat-rate rewards business credit card, as opposed to one with a tiered rewards structure, then the next option on our list of the best business credit cards for travel might be for you.
With the Capital One Spark Miles for Business card, you’ll earn 2 miles per dollar on every purchase, everywhere—you don’t have to worry about tiered categories or caps. This being said, with the miles you earn, you’ll be able to fly on any airline, anytime, with no blackout dates or seat restrictions. You’ll also receive up to $100 credit for one Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee.
Additionally, this card has no foreign transaction fees and offers free employee cards which also earn an unlimited 2x miles from their purchases.
The card also starts off with a one-time bonus of 50,000-miles once you spend $4,500 in the first 3 months. Moreover, Capital One will waive your annual fee for the first year with this business credit card for travel, but after that, you’ll have to pay $95 annually.
Therefore, if you’re looking for a straightforward travel rewards card with a welcome bonus and relatively limited fees, the Spark Miles card might be the best business travel card for you.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard®
As you can see, one of the notable drawbacks of many business travel cards is the annual fee. So, if you want to earn travel points on your business spending, but avoid that annual fee, you might consider the Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard.
When you spend with this business travel credit card, you’ll earn points at the following rates:
- 1.5x unlimited points for every dollar you spend
- 3x rewards for every dollar you spend on travel purchases (car, hotel, airline) booked through the Bank of America® Travel Center – powered by Expedia®
You’ll be able to redeem these points for travel with no blackout dates, as well as cash back or gift cards. Plus, if you qualify for the Preferred Rewards program with Bank of America, all of your points will be worth 75% more.
Additionally, this Bank of America business credit card for travel offers a welcome bonus of 30,000 points after spending only $3,000 within your first 90 days with the card.
Plus, on top of no annual fee, this card has no foreign transaction fees and includes a nine-month 0% intro APR period. As we’ve mentioned before, after the introductory period ends for cards like these, a variable APR will set in, so you should check the terms and conditions of your agreement for updated APR information.
If you’re looking for the best business travel cards that offer substantial rewards, plus almost no fees, you’ll certainly want to consider this Bank of America option.
The Business Platinum® Card From American Express
Great For: Luxury travel perks and rewardsRead Full Review
- Earn up to 75,000 points if you spend $15,000 in the first 3 months
- 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels booked through Amex.
- Best airport lounge access of any card on the market.
- No preset spending limit, so you can use the card to fund your working capital.
|Welcome offerif you spend $15k in first 3 months||Rewards ratebased on where you spend money||Annual fee||Minimum credit|
|85,000 points||5 or 1 points||$595||700|
It’s important to note from the get-go that this business travel card comes with a $595 annual fee, making it less than ideal for most small business owners.
This being said, however, if you are willing to pay this fee, the rewards and luxury perks you’ll receive are without parallel. To begin, on an ongoing basis, this card earns:
- 5 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on travel booked through amextravel.com
- 1.5 Membership Rewards points per $1 on qualifying purchases of $5,000 or more (up to 1 million points)
- 1 Membership Rewards point for every other purchase
Moreover, you can earn up to 85,000 Membership Rewards Points through the welcome bonus when you spend $15,000 within your first three months of card membership. Plus, if you use your Membership Rewards points to pay for all or part of a flight with a qualifying airline, you’ll earn 35% of your points back, up to 500,000 per year.
On top of all these benefits, this business credit card for travel also includes:
- A credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry
- Access to Amex’s network of airport lounges, including the Centurion Lounge and the International American Express lounges
- Access to Delta Sky Club and Priority Pass Select lounges
- No foreign transaction fees
All of this being said, however, the Amex Platinum requires a $595 annual fee, which is a hefty cost.
U.S. Bank Business Leverage® Visa Signature® Card
Next on our list of the best credit cards for business travelers is the U.S. Bank Business Leverage Visa Signature Card.
This card is similar to the AmEx Business Gold in that you’ll earn rewards points based on your top two spending categories. You’ll earn 2x points per dollar you spend in those top categories, which can include airlines, hotels, gas stations, and 45 other categories. With this business travel card, therefore, you have the flexibility to earn rewards on other categories where you spend the most, in addition to travel.
Plus, for every dollar spent outside of your top categories, you’ll earn 1x rewards points with no limit on the total points you can earn.
With this U.S. Bank business credit card, you’ll also have an opportunity to can earn 75,000 points worth $750 cash back if you spend $7,500 in eligible net purchases within the first four months of account opening.
Finally, although U.S. Bank will waive the annual fee for the first year, you’ll be subject to $95 annually for using this business credit card for travel.
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
Finally, for a well-rounded business credit card for travel rewards, you might consider the Capital One Spark Miles Select card.
With this business travel card, you’ll earn an unlimited 1.5% miles on every dollar you spend with no limit on what or where you can buy. Additionally, you’ll be able to redeem these miles on any airline, anytime, with no blackout dates or seat restrictions.
The Capital One Spark Miles Select card also offers a 0% intro APR on purchases for nine months, does not charge an annual fee, and does not charge foreign transaction fees. Moreover, if you spend $3,000 in purchases within three months from opening your account, you’ll qualify for a welcome bonus of 20,000 miles.
Note that after those nine months, a variable APR sets in and its rate depends on your creditworthiness and market Prime Rate, so check the terms and conditions to double-check your APR information.
Overall, of all of the best business travel cards on our list, this is going to be one of the simplest, low-fee options you’ll find.
Get a Business Credit Card for Travel If:
As you can see based on the best business credit cards for travel rewards on our list, there are numerous benefits to be gained by choosing one of these cards. Ultimately then, here are some reasons why you might decide to get a business travel card:
- You’re looking to earn travel rewards for your everyday business spending.
- You prefer travel rewards to cash back rewards.
- You’d like the opportunity to receive a welcome bonus with your business travel card.
- You’re okay with the likelihood of paying an annual fee.
- You’re hoping to avoid foreign transaction fees.
Skip These Business Credit Cards for Travel If:
On the other hand, business travel cards are not right for everyone. Here are some reasons why you might continue to explore your options instead of opting for one of the best credit cards for business travelers on our list:
- You’d prefer cash back rewards.
- You’re hoping to avoid an annual fee.
- You don’t travel very often.
- You’re looking for more options with a 0% intro APR period.
- You need a business credit card for fair credit.
Choosing the Best Business Credit Card for Travel for You
Although many of the best business credit cards for travel have more involved rewards structures—compared to other cards on the market—these cards will certainly give you the ability to make the most of your business credit card spending. By using one of these business travel cards and accruing rewards points, you’ll have the opportunity to save on flights, hotels, and take advantage of numerous other travel-specific perks.
So, if you think you can benefit from a business credit card for travel, you might be wondering how to decide which card is right for you.
Ultimately, this is a decision only you can make—however, as you explore your options, you’ll want to think about two sets of factors:
- First, the rewards structure of the card: How do you earn rewards, how do you redeem points, are there reward limits, is there a welcome bonus, etc.
- Second, the other features of the card: Annual fee, foreign transaction fees, intro APR period, any additional features that are important to your business
Plus, if in comparing your options you conclude that you’d like to earn travel rewards, but would like them to be specific to a particular brand, you then might instead consider the best business airline credit cards.
At the end of the day though, by considering exactly what you’re looking for in a business travel card and seeing how the cards available stack up, you’ll be able to narrow down your options, and finally, select the best business credit card for travel to fulfill your needs.
Still have some questions about business travel cards and how they work? Check out our frequently asked questions below:
Randa Kriss is a senior staff writer at Fundera.
At Fundera, Randa specializes in reviewing small business products, software, and services. Randa has written hundreds of reviews across a wide swath of business topics including ecommerce, merchant services, accounting, credit cards, bank accounts, loan products, and payroll and human resources solutions.