How to Use QuickBooks Online: 12 Resources
- QuickBooks Connect Conferences
- Intuit Academy
- QBO Blog
- Real World Training
- Intuitive Accountant
- Scaling New Heights Conference
- QBO Chat
- Between Wall and Main
- Meetup Groups
- The QB Show
Learning new accounting software can feel overwhelming. If you’re just starting to learn how to use QuickBooks Online, or considering making the move from QuickBooks Desktop to Online, it helps to have some support.
That’s where we come in. Below is a list of the absolute best sources that teach how to use QuickBooks Online. Once you get through all of these resources, you’ll be a QuickBooks Online expert!
Intuit Provided Resources
Starting with the obvious, here are a few Intuit websites that you might want to keep bookmarked and visit often. These websites cover everything there is to know on how to use QuickBooks Online:
1. Quickopedia – It’s dead simple to navigate and find answers about how to do stuff in QuickBooks Online Accountant using Quickopedia.
2. QuickBooks Connect Conference – This conference has three goals—inspire, connect, and educate—are absolutely accomplished. In 2014, we were inspired by the likes of Magic Johnson, Martha Stewart, Arianna Huffington, and Brad Smith. With around 4,000 Intuit employees, accounting professionals, small business owners (and employees!) and entrepreneurs, it’s impossible not to connect with someone that can help you change your business for the better. The variety of training available made it difficult to choose, but no doubt, the tracks are designed to educate attendees in a wide range of topics.
3. Intuit Academy – Tons of great training here (I’m biased, maybe, since I present quite a bit of it), and not just on product— you’ll find help in topics like moving online and practice management on Intuit Academy, as well.
4. QBO Blog – This is the official QuickBooks blog, providing tips, tricks and product updates.
Outside of Intuit, there are some amazing third-party resources that provide excellent insight on how to use QuickBooks Online:
5. Real World Training – They’ve been doing live and on-demand QuickBooks training for years and they’re good. Check Real World Training out.
6. and 7. Intuitive Accountant Newsletter and Scaling New Heights – Both of Joe Woodard’s (a longtime QuickBooks guru) vehicles are amazing QuickBooks Online resources. Intuitive Accountant is an online resource for product info, human interest, technical articles, and event listings. Scaling New Heights is a dizzying affair of nothing but training that is related to QuickBooks—both Online and Desktop. There is certification training, add-on training, business management, and so much more.
User Groups/Social Media
Who better to turn to for QBO help than users jut like you? Here is the best crowdsourced info for using QuickBooks Online:
8. Twitter – So much stuff here, right? Just do a search for QuickBooks and you’ll be able to create a list based on hashtags and people that fit right in with whatever you are looking for.
9. QBO Chat – This is a weekly tweet chat that includes Intuit employees, third-party developers, as well as QuickBooks experts. Cathy Iconis runs it and she’s full of QBO wisdom.
10. Between Wall and Main – Seth David, started this Facebook group, Between Wall and Main. From newbies to seasoned experts, this group just wants to help. No spam and no judgment here.
11. Meetup Groups – There are tons of live, in-person QuickBooks Meetups, and they rock. Not one in your area? You can always start your own!
12. The QB Show – We saved our favorite for last. Started over four years ago as Radio Free QuickBooks, this is a weekly show, talking about QuickBooks. Now that it’s live on hangouts instead of an audio podcast, there is lots of screen sharing. Plus, there are a ton of how-to videos on the YouTube channel. (Full disclosure: This article’s author is the host).
On top of third-party resources, Fundera offers a variety of free how-to guides on using QuickBooks Online. Use these articles to learn how to perform a variety of essential QuickBooks Online functions.
How to Create an Income Statement in QuickBooks
In this article we walk you through how to create an income statement in QuickBooks, including formatting your income statement, customizing it in accordance with your desired preferences—like statement basis, dates, columns, and notes—plus how to produce and send out your income statement.
How to Find a QuickBooks ProAdvisor
A QuickBooks ProAdvisor is a certification awarded by Intuit to accounting pros who demonstrate an expertise with QuickBooks. Here is a comprehensive guide on how to go about finding a QuickBooks ProAdvisor for your business.
How to Create Financial Statements in QuickBooks Online
There are a variety of financial statements you can create in QuickBooks Online, including profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and statements of cash flows. You can even customize the time period and drill down into detailed information—we’ll show you how to do it all.
How to Reconcile in QuickBooks Online
Bank reconciliation is one of the most important things your accounting software can do. Here we’ll walk you through how to reconcile your bank statements in QuickBooks Online, and also give you a few tips to make the process go more smoothly.
Understanding QuickBooks Definitions
From “Audit Log” to “QBFSP,” QuickBooks can get pretty jargon-y. Here we’ll break down some of the most common QuickBooks terms you’ll encounter so you can navigate the software like a pro.
How to Create a Budget in QuickBooks Online
You can’t do much without knowing your budget—that’s why we’ve mapped out how to create a budget in QuickBooks for each account in your profit and loss statement.
How to Set Up QuickBooks Credit Card Payments
By setting up a QuickBooks Credit Card Payments account, you’re making it easy for your customers or clients to pay you, as well as reducing the time it takes for you to record payments. Allow us to show you how it’s done.
The Best Apps to Integrate with QuickBooks
If you’re looking to extend the functionality of your QuickBooks account, there are a variety of tools you can integrate with in the QuickBooks app marketplace. Here are a few of our favorites.
How to Perform Job Costing in QuickBooks Online
Job costing tracks the costs and revenues of a job to determine profitability. In QuickBooks Online job costing is a multi-step process, here’s how you do it.
How to Write and Print Checks in QuickBooks Online
If you need to write and print checks in QuickBooks Online, you have a couple options for that. Here’s how to get started.
How to Become a QuickBooks Power User
Here are some other tips on how to become a QuickBooks power user by automating certain tasks, arranging recurring transactions, and sharing customized reports.
How to Become QuickBooks Certified
If you’ve read through all of our resources and think you have what it takes to get a QuickBooks certification, here’s what you need to do.
Answers to the Most Commonly Asked QuickBooks Questions
As if all these articles weren’t enough, we’ve also provided answers to the most common QuickBooks questions, such as “How do you perform transfers between accounts?” and “Can you create a budget sorted by customer and service item?”
How to Use QuickBooks Online: Just Get Started
In the end, the best way to learn how to use QuickBooks Online is to just start using it. Log on and play around. Try different features. Get a feel for everything. With a little exploration and our helpful guides you’ll be a QuickBooks Online expert in no time.
Stacy Kildal is a contributing writer for Fundera.
Stacy Kildal is owner/operator of Kildal Services LLC—an accounting and technology consulting company that specializes in all things QuickBooks. From 2012 to 2017, Stacy has been named one of CPA Practice Advisor’s Most Powerful Women In Accounting.
Stacy is one of the three hosts for the QB Show and has also been featured frequently on Intuit’s Accountant Blog, Community “Ask the Expert” forums, at various Intuit Academy To Go podcasts, as well as hosting a number of Intuit Small Business Online Town Hall sessions.
She is a big fan of working mobile and has been recognized by Intuit as being an expert on QuickBooks Online, having written Intuit’s original courses for the U.S., Singapore and Canadian versions.